Maine-RC-Racing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radio controlled racing

WWW.MAINERC.COM Welcome to the Maine R/C forum Register Today! WWW.MAINERC.COM

Clik on the Hobbyshops and Tracks links Please support your local hobby shop

Maximus R/C Raceway races every Wednesday night at 7 pm. & Saturdays at 5 pm

Evolution Hobbies and Raceway in Casco Maine. Outdoor Off Road Racing Sundays Spring Through Fall

GRANITE LEISURE TIME WEEKLY RACING ON FRIDAYS DOORS @ 5 RACING @ 7 AND SUNDAYS DOORS @ 12 RACING @ 1 PAN CAR, LEGENDS, SCT, 2WD BUGGY & VATERRA RALLY.

RAY & ROBBINS INDOOR OFF ROAD RACING TUESDAYS @ 6:30 ON ROAD RACING EVERY OTHER THURSDAY @ 6:30 (CALL STORE)

T&J R/C RACEWAY NOW OPEN IN WESTBROOK! INDOOR DIRT OVAL.

Latest topics

» for sale assoc. t5m stuff
Interesting race format EmptySun May 06, 2018 3:32 pm by legend61

» dieing out ?
Interesting race format EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 4:43 pm by bob.less13

» assoc.b5mbuggy
Interesting race format EmptyTue Oct 10, 2017 11:23 pm by legend61

» looking to sell
Interesting race format EmptyThu Oct 05, 2017 5:05 pm by truck2552

» Thank you to all who attended
Interesting race format EmptyTue Aug 22, 2017 6:03 pm by iceman48

» This Sunday Sammy's Bash @ R&R's
Interesting race format EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 10:50 am by iceman48

» One month to the first R&R bash 8-20-17
Interesting race format EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 8:36 am by legend61

» assoc.b5m buggy
Interesting race format EmptyThu Jun 15, 2017 7:19 pm by truck2552

» Bash day August 20th @ Ray and Robins.
Interesting race format EmptyFri Jun 02, 2017 5:54 pm by iceman48

UPCOMING R/C EVENTS

Ray & Robbins Hobby Center - Falmouth

RC Excitement - Fitchburg Mass.

Breakneck R/C - Livermore Falls

+3
Fastleft
sharkman
Eagletal
7 posters

Interesting race format

Eagletal

Interesting race format Empty Interesting race format

Post by Eagletal Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:52 am

This video was from the recent nitrocross race late last year. The difference was in how the race was formatted. Instead of have 3 timed heats where you race against the clock to make the main, this event held more of a supercross style format where you have to qualify by placing in the top 2 of the qualifying heat. They would then have semi's and the last chance qualifying to make the main event. All races would have a predetermined number of laps, (15 in this event). Reports were that this format was much more exciting for both the racers and spectators. As you can tell in the video, there was definitely some exciting racing Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNVuFeY_ZKk

Would be interesting if some Maine tracks tried out this format Very Happy
    sharkman
    sharkman

Interesting race format Empty Re: Interesting race format

Post by sharkman Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:45 am

I would like to see starting gates used at some of our tracks. I know space does not always allow it.
    Would eliminate the need for people to hold up cars and have to listen and look for the start of the race.
    racers could rev all they want. A lever would drop all the cars on the ramp and they would race for the first turn.

similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX-QrvUk6yw
    Fastleft
    Fastleft

Interesting race format Empty gate start

Post by Fastleft Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:20 am

sharkman wrote:I would like to see starting gates used at some of our tracks. I know space does not always allow it.
    Would eliminate the need for people to hold up cars and have to listen and look for the start of the race.
    racers could rev all they want. A lever would drop all the cars on the ramp and they would race for the first turn.

similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX-QrvUk6yw
    I have allways been a big fan of starting gates for nitro offroad,I would like to see a staggered gate, so if you have a better qualification time you could be on the forward gate instead of funneling the whole field into the first turn
    yamaha
    yamaha

Post by yamaha Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:32 am

i was just reading about this the other day. when i first got into rc i assumed thats how the race format was. i have been a huge motocross fan my whole life so am very familar with this style of racing. i would love to see all racing this way. it would cut the long days of qualifing. i also would love to see a starting gate also. if not a gate atleast a straight line start like motocross. i think there would be a lot more exciting racing. also like evolution hobbies said classes also begginer. novice and expert. that way everyone has a fair chance. it would be interesting. being the motocross fan that i am.
    Evolution Hobbies
    Evolution Hobbies

Post by Evolution Hobbies Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:29 pm

Sharkman
    Bill we were going to do the starting gate but after talking to some track owner's ,we decided not too.The reason is that in some cases it would really put a jolt on drivetrains ,causing some to break.This fault can also because of a driver habits too.Most track owners end up taking the gate's down because of that.
    I still think it may be worth trying .

Sean
    Evolution Hobbies
    sharkman
    sharkman

Post by sharkman Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:03 pm

I think a little education goes a long way as far as that goes.
    Drivers meetings and instruction should take care of that problem.
    Most drivetrains can handle alot more then that gate will put on them.

I would not mind trying the supercross qualifying. I think it should be done on a weekend one day event before thinking about doing it full time.

One other thing to think about is the number of racers we have. If you qualify well you go directly to the main. Most do not want to run one race and then wait for the main. What do you do for the extra people that do not qualify? Have lower mains? What software is capable of doing this.
    I like knowing that I am going to get atleast 3 qualifiers and a main event. A reshuffle takes care of different driver experience.
    I think a novice class is a good idea if the numbers allow it.
    Evolution Hobbies
    Evolution Hobbies

Post by Evolution Hobbies Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:41 pm

Sharkman
    Bill i have to agree with you on the idea of the supercross qualifying ,it would be something to try once and a while but i believe most rc racer like the idea of 2 or 3 heats and a main.
    As for the gate i think may be something to look in to .But again how many nitro's will there be this season,with more and more going to electric.And no do not believe nitro are going away.I have gone to track's that had a gate and did see racers brake coming out of it .Like said in my earlier post ,that could be driver bad habits,in this case just keeping it reved up to high when it drops.A couple of the track's didn't have much of a ramp and you dropped quit high because it was made for monster trucks too.
    I think i will give the Sportsman(novice) class a try.I already told people i will need at least 3 to make that class,if not enough they get put in the stock class.

Sean
    sharkman
    sharkman

Post by sharkman Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:00 pm

probably right on the gate. So many more electric classes now.

Just looking foward to getting back in the dirt.
    bajamike207

Interesting race format Empty race format

Post by bajamike207 Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:17 pm

good day all. the topic about the starting gate is interesting.it would be cool to have all three heats done (heads up) style . everyones on the clock at the tone!! novice class would be cool too, but the biggest problem is racer turnouts.. i've raced @ all the local tracks and the turnouts are weak , slash/ short course have good turnouts, but the other classes have gotten smaller over the last couple of years . it the same 10 people every week.. it sucks also that the hobby shops dont help to promote the hobby . with all the $$$ that racers spend, there needs to be more involvment from shops. that will bring out more racers!! thats my 2 cents!! 20+ racers every week would be swell!!! cheers Idea
    sharkman
    sharkman

Post by sharkman Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:07 pm

What else can they do?
    Short course is one of the best things to happen to racing in a while. That is where we will get the new racers in. From there they upgrade to other classes.
    Have seen it already in a year and a half.
    1/8 is tough for newbs.
    Population vs other areas of the country is small=less racers.
    Tough economy.

It is up to us as racers to get more people into racing.
    Talk about how much we enjoy coming to the track, great people, family atmosphere, how affordable it can be vs how much you have into your gear.
    Nothing turns people off more then saying you have "$2000" of stuff. Tell them about why short course is the way to get into it (spec racing, no special high $$$ items, level playing field, reasonable prices, reasonable speeds).
    Most of you know that I spend my Saturdays at the shop, there is only so much that can be done. I would like to see free racing coupons with purchase of vehicles. Short course trucks are whats hot right now. I know of atleast 3 shops that are offering indoor short course racing.
    There is alot that goes on with the shops and race directors that most do not realize.
    Lets look at ourselves before we blame it all on the shops. We would not have the tracks and support that we do without them.
    bajamike207

Interesting race format Empty interesting format

Post by bajamike207 Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:29 am

sharkman, you work for the most anti- offroad hobby shop!! sorry dude you know that ray could care less about off road racing wich is a bummer because with all the business he does, if he helped to promote the racing, it could be huge!! i know you and guys like pablo are old school, but for a newbie, you guys are very intimidating because your so hard core.. no offense, but the newbie needs good ambassadors .its like that every place.. believe me, i've been trying to fit in for years .we kneed to promote our hobby , but the shops have the power to make it fun for racers. throw in a few prizes and stuff like that and racers dont forget(write off for shop) 25-30 racers every week is possible if we pimp it together .we kneed more fresh faces at races cheers sunny
    sharkman
    sharkman

Post by sharkman Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:46 am

Your still not stating what you want from a shop. Free stuff is great, but it has to come from somewhere. How much do you think Ryan shells out of his own money to be a race director and have the stuff we do. You cannot have free stuff shelled out every race day, it is not practical. It also costs $$$ for the track we have now. The Go carting place does not let us hold our races there for free. Do you think that the shop might subsidize the entry fees when not enough racers show up to cover costs.
    Face it, racers are a minority compared to the overall # of people that are in this hobby.
    Tell me what you think needs to be done. You keep saying he needs to promote it. It gets promoted all the time to people from me, weeks, Gene, lenny, hell even Mike. I don't promote it to fellow racers becuase they already know, it is the people looking for new vehicles like slashes or Monster trucks. Just because you do not see or hear it does not mean it does not take place.
    There is the club website, a flyer is in the shop.
    Do you know how much tv commercials cost?
    Tell us the magic formula to bring in the people or to make it "fun for the racers". WHAT IS IT YOU WANT?????
    Yes I am hardcore but I enjoy talking with anyone and everyone.
    I will never turn anyone away that needs help or ask questions.
    sharkman
    sharkman

Post by sharkman Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:18 pm

Went in to work today and what do I see, flyer for the maximus short course race scheduled for today posted on the counter in the car section.
    Advertising for a competing shops trophy race. Is that not promoting???
    rcracer207
    rcracer207
    Admin

Post by rcracer207 Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:50 pm

Like many of you I have been a big motocross/supercross fan for a long time. I think that their qualifying works great for them. Here is why. They want to qualify as soon as possible and save as much energy as possible for the main event. They do NOT want to race a heat and then have to go to a semi or last chance. This system rewards those who qualify early with more time to rest/prepare for the main.

In rc racing you want to get as much time on the track as possible. You dont want to set aside a whole afternoon and pay to go race and qualify in your first heat only to sit around and wait all day for the main. Maybe 3 heats are not needed but at least 2 heats and a main get everyone out there for at least 3 races. There is really no reward for qualifying early in rc unless you really need all that extra energy to climb the drivers stand.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:10 am