Maine-RC-Racing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radio controlled racing

WWW.MAINERC.COM Welcome to the Maine R/C forum Register Today! WWW.MAINERC.COM

Clik on the Hobbyshops and Tracks links Please support your local hobby shop

Maximus R/C Raceway races every Wednesday night at 7 pm. & Saturdays at 5 pm

Evolution Hobbies and Raceway in Casco Maine. Outdoor Off Road Racing Sundays Spring Through Fall

GRANITE LEISURE TIME WEEKLY RACING ON FRIDAYS DOORS @ 5 RACING @ 7 AND SUNDAYS DOORS @ 12 RACING @ 1 PAN CAR, LEGENDS, SCT, 2WD BUGGY & VATERRA RALLY.

RAY & ROBBINS INDOOR OFF ROAD RACING TUESDAYS @ 6:30 ON ROAD RACING EVERY OTHER THURSDAY @ 6:30 (CALL STORE)

T&J R/C RACEWAY NOW OPEN IN WESTBROOK! INDOOR DIRT OVAL.

Latest topics

» for sale assoc. t5m stuff
Newbie saying Hi and I have a question or 2 EmptySun May 06, 2018 3:32 pm by legend61

» dieing out ?
Newbie saying Hi and I have a question or 2 EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 4:43 pm by bob.less13

» assoc.b5mbuggy
Newbie saying Hi and I have a question or 2 EmptyTue Oct 10, 2017 11:23 pm by legend61

» looking to sell
Newbie saying Hi and I have a question or 2 EmptyThu Oct 05, 2017 5:05 pm by truck2552

» Thank you to all who attended
Newbie saying Hi and I have a question or 2 EmptyTue Aug 22, 2017 6:03 pm by iceman48

» This Sunday Sammy's Bash @ R&R's
Newbie saying Hi and I have a question or 2 EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 10:50 am by iceman48

» One month to the first R&R bash 8-20-17
Newbie saying Hi and I have a question or 2 EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 8:36 am by legend61

» assoc.b5m buggy
Newbie saying Hi and I have a question or 2 EmptyThu Jun 15, 2017 7:19 pm by truck2552

» Bash day August 20th @ Ray and Robins.
Newbie saying Hi and I have a question or 2 EmptyFri Jun 02, 2017 5:54 pm by iceman48

UPCOMING R/C EVENTS

Ray & Robbins Hobby Center - Falmouth

RC Excitement - Fitchburg Mass.

Breakneck R/C - Livermore Falls

5 posters

Newbie saying Hi and I have a question or 2

Rav
    Rav

Newbie saying Hi and I have a question or 2 Empty Newbie saying Hi and I have a question or 2

Post by Rav Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:55 am

Hi Guys and Gals, I have been out of the RC loop for a few years. For Christmas we got my son a Stampede and it has me itching to get my self a truck. I had a Hpi Nitro Rush quite a few moons ago but i think I'm going to go Electric this time around.

I want to get something like a short course truck and I'm having a hard time deciding on what I want. Looking to hit a few tracks and maybe do some races. i will probably end up with a Slash or a Blitz. Can the Blitz be run in the stock Slash class? I was also thinking of possibly buying myself a Stampede. Is there a race class for a stock Stampede? Or a class that it would at least be competitive in? i used to run the rush on a small backyard track that i will be resurrecting in the spring.

Thanks
    rcman973
    rcman973

Newbie saying Hi and I have a question or 2 Empty Re: Newbie saying Hi and I have a question or 2

Post by rcman973 Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:25 pm

I say go with the Blitz. I have had both the Slash and the Blitz and to me the blitz is a better truck. It handles alot better than the slash and its just as durable as the slash.
    I'm not sure if you could run it in a stock slash class but most places have a Stock Short Course class so that's the class you wold most likely be in.
    Rav
    Rav

Newbie saying Hi and I have a question or 2 Empty Re: Newbie saying Hi and I have a question or 2

Post by Rav Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:23 pm

Thanks for the info. I was already leaning towards the blitz but figured i would ask.

Does any one know about the stampede? is there a class that they race in and that people are competitive with them stock? even if i don't get one i would like to know that my son has the option to race if he wants to.

thanks
    Eagletal

Post by Eagletal Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:14 am

Hey, glad to see someone else from the Falls racing RC's. There are 3 good tracks all within a hour from the Falls... Sparetime Hobby, (litchfield) CCR, (Portland) and Evolution Hobbies, (Casco). I know Evolution Hobbies had a Sportsman class last year, which is great for beginners like your son. That class is a race what you bring which lets you get used to racing without the pressure of messing up the fast guys.
    Rav
    Rav

Post by Rav Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:21 am

The sportsman class sounds good. once we get a little closer to spring I'll look into it more. Thanks Eagletal

TeamAssociated_Kevin
    TeamAssociated_Kevin

Post by TeamAssociated_Kevin Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:25 am

Yes the Casco track is very friendly to new drivers. There is a regular group that runs in the Sportsman class, which is mixed trucks of all types....including Stampedes and Slashes and whatever else shows up. At least once last summer there were 5-6 stampedes running at once.

As far as Blitz vs Slash, they are both good trucks the Blitz is more of a racer and the Slash more of a basher. One nice thing about Traxxas trucks is that they share a lot of the same parts. Pretty much 90% of the Stampede is the same as the Slash.
    Rav
    Rav

Post by Rav Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:27 pm

thanks Kevin, still not quite sure what i'm going to get. my son wants me to get a nitro so we would have one of each. so now i'm looking at them also. i feel like a woman trying to figure out what to wear. to many choices out there.

TeamAssociated_Kevin
    TeamAssociated_Kevin

Post by TeamAssociated_Kevin Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:05 pm

What is popular in RC tends to be quite "fad-ish" and the hot car today, will be tomorrows legacy class.

Nitros are not current on the "in". They were about 3 years ago. Electric short-course is popular. Both 2wd & 4wd. Word is buggies are coming back.

Personally I'm hoping monster trucks make a comeback Smile
    Evolution Hobbies
    Evolution Hobbies

Post by Evolution Hobbies Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:47 pm

Kevin

Maybe,Sport Monster Truck class????

Just putting it out there..

Sean
    Evolution Hobbies Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Last edited by Evolution Hobbies on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Rav
    Rav

Post by Rav Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:38 pm

Glad to see one of the lhs's chiming in. My problem is that some of the rigs i'm looking at i don't know if they would be race legal.

Sean, I'll be heading your way in about a week or so so i can talk to you and maybe get some help with my decision.
    Evolution Hobbies
    Evolution Hobbies

Post by Evolution Hobbies Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:28 pm

RAV

I will answer all questions that you have to help with your decision.Also do not be afraid to ask questions or make comments here on this thread.

For the ones who are wondering what Sport Monster Truck is.It is a possible new class at my track that would be for 1/10th mostly 2wd "monster trucks " that are smaller than the typical monster truck like T-Maxx,Savage,MGT and Revo's.Examples of "sport monster trucks" are Traxxas Stampede and Electrix Ruckus,this class would be a open"mod" class.Still looking for input from racers on the class.

Sean
    Evolution Hobbies
    Rav
    Rav

Post by Rav Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:55 pm

Thanks Sean, I've been doing a lot of searching and watching videos and I found a few things of interest. If I go nitro i think i might get a rc10gt. I'm also looking at either a vxl Stampede or vxl Slash. Figure I might stay Traxxas so my son and i can swap parts if needed like was mentioned earlier. Also was looking at the Associated B4.1 Brushless.

I do have one question about the 1/5 dirt bikes. I see on your track site that you have a class for them. do you have enough racers every week to run the class? do you carry the bikes? I used to race motocross so of course when i saw them and was immediately interested.

See my dilemma, at the moment I can only get one and I have a budget of about $300-350 to spend and I'm having a hard time deciding.

Edit: Is the Nitro Rustler with 2.5 engine race legal?

If anyone else has any input on any of vehicles mentioned above please by all means chime in and let me know what you like/dislike about them.

Thanks

Last edited by Rav on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added content)
    Evolution Hobbies
    Evolution Hobbies

Post by Evolution Hobbies Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:42 am

Rav
    Just so you know any type of nitro racing is limited around area,specially 1/10th scale nitro.As for the choices for nitro would be fine for racing ,as long as there are enough nitro racers to run.Some times i may mix nitro's and electrics to make a class.
    I do have a class for the dirt bikes but it was a class that did not take off.There are a few of them out there but could never seem to get them at the track at the same time.
    The Traxxas vxl Slash would be a great choice because i belive this season i will have a "open" 2wd slash class this year.The Associated B4.1 brushless would also be a great choice too,because that class 1/10th 2wd buggy open will be a new class this season.I already know there will be more than enough to start this class when the season starts.
    The vxl Stampede would be a fine truck also,but from a racing stand point this could be on and off class as well.This season i am thinking of starting a 1/10th 2wd "monster truck "class called Sport Monster Truck -open class .This will be for trucks like the Stampede ,which are smaller than the usaul monster trucks in the class.to sum it up and from a strictly racing stand point i would rate your choices as followed:
    1)Traxxas Slash vxl or brushed ---- Sct are the most popular class right now
    2)Team Associated B4.1 ---growing class
    3)Traxxas Stampede vxl-- there is interest in this class,but depends on how many show up.
    4)Assoc.GT2/Traxxas Rustler--very limited nitro racing specially 1/10th

I hope this helps.

Sean
    Evolution Hobbies Very Happy
    Rav
    Rav

Post by Rav Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:39 pm

WOW, Thanks for the awesome post. That's the info i needed to see. now i have it narrowed down to either the slash or the b4.1.

Sean, I plan on stopping by your shop sometime soon to do some shopping. Thanks again

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 9:31 pm