Maine-RC-Racing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radio controlled racing

WWW.MAINERC.COM Welcome to the Maine R/C forum Register Today! WWW.MAINERC.COM

Clik on the Hobbyshops and Tracks links Please support your local hobby shop

Maximus R/C Raceway races every Wednesday night at 7 pm. & Saturdays at 5 pm

Evolution Hobbies and Raceway in Casco Maine. Outdoor Off Road Racing Sundays Spring Through Fall

GRANITE LEISURE TIME WEEKLY RACING ON FRIDAYS DOORS @ 5 RACING @ 7 AND SUNDAYS DOORS @ 12 RACING @ 1 PAN CAR, LEGENDS, SCT, 2WD BUGGY & VATERRA RALLY.

RAY & ROBBINS INDOOR OFF ROAD RACING TUESDAYS @ 6:30 ON ROAD RACING EVERY OTHER THURSDAY @ 6:30 (CALL STORE)

T&J R/C RACEWAY NOW OPEN IN WESTBROOK! INDOOR DIRT OVAL.

Latest topics

» for sale assoc. t5m stuff
New Sportsman/Novice class? EmptySun May 06, 2018 3:32 pm by legend61

» dieing out ?
New Sportsman/Novice class? EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 4:43 pm by bob.less13

» assoc.b5mbuggy
New Sportsman/Novice class? EmptyTue Oct 10, 2017 11:23 pm by legend61

» looking to sell
New Sportsman/Novice class? EmptyThu Oct 05, 2017 5:05 pm by truck2552

» Thank you to all who attended
New Sportsman/Novice class? EmptyTue Aug 22, 2017 6:03 pm by iceman48

» This Sunday Sammy's Bash @ R&R's
New Sportsman/Novice class? EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 10:50 am by iceman48

» One month to the first R&R bash 8-20-17
New Sportsman/Novice class? EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 8:36 am by legend61

» assoc.b5m buggy
New Sportsman/Novice class? EmptyThu Jun 15, 2017 7:19 pm by truck2552

» Bash day August 20th @ Ray and Robins.
New Sportsman/Novice class? EmptyFri Jun 02, 2017 5:54 pm by iceman48

UPCOMING R/C EVENTS

Ray & Robbins Hobby Center - Falmouth

RC Excitement - Fitchburg Mass.

Breakneck R/C - Livermore Falls

5 posters

New Sportsman/Novice class?

Evolution Hobbies
    Evolution Hobbies

New Sportsman/Novice class? Empty New Sportsman/Novice class?

Post by Evolution Hobbies Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:01 pm

I would like some input from racers on this ,i am thinking about adding a "Sportsman/Novice" class for 2010 race season.
    This class would be for the racer who has NEVER raced before.Any age and any box stock truck or buggy.Also this would be a mix class ,which means electrics and nitro would run together.Racers would bump up to the next class stock or open by either winning this class so many times or the season(example race this class this season ,next season must bump up to next class).
    So i would like input from you on this .please post comments.

Thanks
    Sean
    Evolution Hobbies
    Evolution Hobbies
    Evolution Hobbies

New Sportsman/Novice class? Empty Re: New Sportsman/Novice class?

Post by Evolution Hobbies Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:55 pm

Because some have asked this one class not two ,i just don't know what to call it Sportsman or Novice.So far most like Sportsman.
    Just wanted to clear that up ..

Sean
    Evolution Hobbies
    Evolution Hobbies

Post by Evolution Hobbies Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:41 am

Do to the response,i will be adding the Sportsman class to the 2010 race season.We will see how it goes ,this will rely on new racers showing up on a regular basis.
    I went with Sportsman name over novice because of the people who email,called and talking with people at the shop .Most like that name better.So i will go with that.I figure its better than calling a beginner class.

If anybody has any more question please contact me or post here.

Sean
    cheers
    Evolution Hobbies
    Evolution Hobbies

Post by Evolution Hobbies Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:57 pm

For the ones that called and emailed .I list the rule as box stock electric and nitro.This rule would be for new trucks and buggies that are still box stock.
    For someone new who has a older truck or buggy and wants to race it,here is my ruling on that.try to bring it as close as you can to stock.Electronics such as radio and esc can be aftermarket.The motor on the other hand should be a brushed "stock" motor ,this rule is more for the electrics than the nitro's.Acceptable brushed stock motor's would be roar 27t,stock motor from Traxxas,Losi,Hpi,Tamiya etc.(the motors used in the slash,blitz,sc10 and strike are acceptable) NO aftermarket brushless. Brushed motors can not be modified!!!!
    I am open to any suggestion's on this class as far as rules.I just want to keep it simple and speeds down so the new racer will enjoy racing and get used to racing with others.

Sean
    ZLB
    ZLB

Post by ZLB Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:55 am

Kinda confused why you would put bone stock ''brushed'' in the same class as nitro's and expect anyone with an electric to win.
    I realize you said for beginers but that really is going to cause problems. I don't know of a single stock brushed rig that will even come close to the slowest nitro made, this is going to do two things.
    1. Discourage the new electric guys because they won't be competetive.
    2. Cause a lot of lap traffic and crashes as the nitro's will be gaining many laps on the electrics.

I realize its going to be hard to get enough newbs to run a nitro and electric classes but it seems there will be a huge disadvantage to anyone that is going to want to run electric.
    Evolution Hobbies
    Evolution Hobbies

Post by Evolution Hobbies Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:39 pm

ZLB
    I have worded it that way for the time being.With a brushed motor for electrics will have more control and the idea is for them to get out and race with others on the track.As for the ones with nitro's there is not much i can do as far as the engine ,except turn down there end point adjustment on the throttle if they have one.And i doubt they want to do that.I would have to say the nitro guys will be in more crashes than electrics ,due to the fact they are a little more wild on the track.
    Just to let you know last year stock electrics class turned on average 1 maybe 2 laps less than the 1/8 buggy/truggy class,and some times turned more laps than the nitro's.Thats with racers who race just about every week,not newbe's.
    I not opposed to brushless in this class if it comes stock in the truck/buggy ,i just believe its not going to be a big advantage in this class,just like nitro is not going to be a big advantage.No matter how much speed you have ,you still need to learn driving skills ,and this is what this class is for.
    ZLB thanks for your comments and i will keep them in mind as we get closer to racing.

Sean
    Evolution Hobbies
    ZLB
    ZLB

Post by ZLB Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:15 pm

Evolution Hobbies wrote:ZLB
    I have worded it that way for the time being.With a brushed motor for electrics will have more control and the idea is for them to get out and race with others on the track.As for the ones with nitro's there is not much i can do as far as the engine ,except turn down there end point adjustment on the throttle if they have one.And i doubt they want to do that.I would have to say the nitro guys will be in more crashes than electrics ,due to the fact they are a little more wild on the track.
    Just to let you know last year stock electrics class turned on average 1 maybe 2 laps less than the 1/8 buggy/truggy class,and some times turned more laps than the nitro's.Thats with racers who race just about every week,not newbe's.
    I not opposed to brushless in this class if it comes stock in the truck/buggy ,i just believe its not going to be a big advantage in this class,just like nitro is not going to be a big advantage.No matter how much speed you have ,you still need to learn driving skills ,and this is what this class is for.
    ZLB thanks for your comments and i will keep them in mind as we get closer to racing.

Sean
    Evolution Hobbies

Thats cool but I know people that know how to drive but have never raced, if these guys were there with there nitro's in a novice run what you brung stock thing, they are still newbs as far as a track goes, but still have the consept of how to drive their trucks.

Now with what you just said I could see it the way you discribed it in first post, if the racers were all atleast under a set age limit for the class, or was just in the way in a more experianced class.

Just the nitros and brushed electric mix doesn't sound like a level playing field.
    ZLB
    ZLB

Post by ZLB Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:21 pm

One way I could see it being rite if theres 2 first prizes.
    #1 nitro/brushless STOCK
    #1 electric STOCK

all race together, and if one of the brushed electric guys did happen to win out over the nitro's/brushless give them a like $10.00 bonus gift certificate.
    freelife04239
    freelife04239

Post by freelife04239 Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:01 pm

I think the best way to make it work would be to have a cut off lap time. Use the qualifier to determine what class they go in. If they can make a qualifier round 2 spots above last place for the normal class then they should be put in that class. This is just an idea. I know this could also lead to people draging there feet but you also do the same thing with the main if they are finishing the main 2 spots above last place for the normal class then next race they are bumped up. somthing like that just ideas Im sure you have run lots of ideas over in your head but just thought i would put in an idea.
    Evolution Hobbies
    Evolution Hobbies

Post by Evolution Hobbies Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:59 pm

I think some people are to tied up in the speed thing,i believe that the new nitro racer will NOT have a advantage over the other.Speed will not win this class ,learning to drive on a track with others will win this class.Another thing to keep in mind if a so called new racers shows up and just wins by a considerable amount of laps they will automatically be bumped up into the next class the next time they race.
    Even though i think i will not get enough new nitro drivers ,i would consider a separating them into there own class.But i think that this class will be mostly electrics.Also this class will still get the Speed Cash Voucher (like a shop gift certificate ,and good for up to sixty days) 1st-$6 ,2nd$4 and 3rd $3 ,we have been doing this the last two seasons.

Again thank's for your input.
    Sean
    Evolution Hobbies
    DNO
    DNO

New Sportsman/Novice class? Empty Sportsman class

Post by DNO Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:55 pm

I think its great idea, hopefully this forward thinking will inject some new people into the sport which is needed in Maine's small racing community. Obviously K.I.S.S. (keep it simply stupid) applies here. This isn't a national R.O.A.R. event were talking about it's a simple race. cheers If clear rules are established "ie" certin lap times, # of wins, ect. than there should be no problems. I've personaly seen slow cars beat fast cars because their more consistant or they can control the car better. If there are ding dongs trying to sandbag so they can say they beat a little kid than shame on them, kick'em into the next class. Any person that clearly is having a hard time at first certinley won't have any issue with a little better driver beating them, it's not like their competing for a big prize.
    P.S. Are the people commenting new to the sport or do they just own their own soapbox?
    rcracer207
    rcracer207
    Admin

Post by rcracer207 Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:12 am

Evolution Hobbies wrote:I think some people are to tied up in the speed thing,i believe that the new nitro racer will NOT have a advantage over the other.Speed will not win this class ,learning to drive on a track with others will win this class.

+1

having raced both nitro and electric on this track I have to agree. most of the time the guy with the crazy fast truck is off the track once or twice every lap and the one with the bone stock brushed electric that makes consistent laps beats him 9 out of 10 times. I really think that this class will work just fine as is at this track.
    ZLB
    ZLB

Post by ZLB Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:52 pm

DNO wrote:P.S. Are the people commenting new to the sport or do they just own their own soapbox?
    I'm not on no soap box, just was thinking it would be fun for my 8yo grandson to try raacing a few times to see if he liked it.
    He loves bashing his Pede but just wouldnt want him to get discouraged by getting smoked by nitros.
    No need to be that way Evil or Very Mad
    Evolution Hobbies
    Evolution Hobbies

Post by Evolution Hobbies Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:41 pm

ZLB
    Your grandson will be fine in this class with nitro's and electrics.This class is to learn driving skills ,NOT how fast you can go.As i stated before i do not believe a nitro truck will have no big advantage,it going to be the driver who learns to drive on a the track who will do well and learn quickly.

Sean
    ZLB
    ZLB

Post by ZLB Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:52 pm

He's had his pede since he was 6 I built it for him, and keep upgrading as he gets older, still got him on a XL-1 esc because he didn't like the delay for reverse of the XL-5.
    He drives pretty good but don't know how well he'll do with the structured format of a track.
    Evolution Hobbies
    Evolution Hobbies

Post by Evolution Hobbies Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:37 pm

ZLB

If you have time when the track opens,and during shop hours bring him down and practice on the track first .I think he will get the hang of it ,it may mean getting in some practice time before he enters a race that's all.Then again he may surprise you and catch on right off.
    Either way just get him out there and see how he does...

Sean

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:04 pm